We now have a complete Merit Badge Counselor list !!
The list of approved Merit Badge Counselors is available through your unit's Scoutbook account, and can be viewed by registered adult leaders.
Unless they request removal, Counselors will remain on the list as long as their Youth Protection Training is kept up to date (must be renewed every two years).
How To Become a Merit Badge Counselor
Merit Badge Counselors must be:
1. Qualified: men or women of good character, age 18 or older, and recognized as having the skills and education in the subjects for
which they are to serve as merit badge counselors, as well as the ability to work with Scout-age boys.
2. Registered: as a merit badge counselor
3. Approved: for each specific merit badge
4. Trained: in the aims of Scouting and in advancement procedures
Three (3) documents must be submitted in order to begin the process of becoming a Merit Badge Counselor. Registration as a Merit Badge Counselor (position code 42) does NOT require an application fee.
1. Adult Application (even if you are already registered as a leader in a unit to become a merit badge counselor
requires a separate or new application). The "Signature of unit committee chairman" or "Signature of chartered
organization head or representative" are NOT required....however all other signatures and information is,
including your Social Security Number. You have two (2) signature blocks to sign. Place "42" in the Position Code
and "Merit Badge Counselor" in the Scouting position (description). If you fail to compete the application it WILL
NOT be processed, you CANNOT become a Merit Badge Counselor unless the 2 application documents and 1
training document are complete, accurate and a background check is performed. This is a District level position,
Unit Signatures are NOT required.
Please remember to sign page 8, the criminal background check authorization. It must be signed with
a wet signature, or digitally with DocuSign, only.
2. Merit Badge Counselor Information form 34405. Please include all information asked for on this form as well.
3. A copy or proof of your current Youth Protection Training certificate. Youth Protection Training is available
online my.scouting.org. Volunteers MUST NOT work with boys in any capacity WITHOUT current/valid
Youth Protection Training.
When you have completed all the documents, submit them to the Green Mountain Council office to the attention of Arlene Matheson. All three documents are required to become a Merit Badge Counselor within the Green Mountain Council. Youth Protection Training is required every two years and Merit Badge Counselor Orientation is a one time requirement within first 90 days of approved registration.
Merit Badge Counselor Resources
A Guide to Merit Badge Counseling
BSA Adult Application
Merit Badge Counselor Application