- Communicate with your Chartered Organization to learn what requirements they might have in place, and to engage them in your plan.
- Group size is currently limited to a maximum of 75 persons indoors, 150 outdoors.**
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or questionable exposure must stay home. The GMC Pre-Event Screening Checklist is a tool for communicating this to participants, and for documenting compliance.
- The Checklist is a required document for District and Council events to aid in contact tracing, if necessary, as required by the Health Department. Units are encouraged to use this tool, as well.
- Individuals shall wear a cloth mask covering nose and mouth, whether indoors or outdoors, when physical distancing (at least 6 feet between non-family members) cannot be maintained.
- There must be facilities or supplies to allow for frequent hand washing and/or sanitizing, and frequent reminders to do so.
- Shared equipment and surfaces must be sanitized frequently.
- Participants must be limited to those residing in counties with less than 400 active cases of COVID-19 per one million residents. (See https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel)
- Camping: tents must be set up 6 feet apart, and each person must have their own tent, unless a family unit. The Guide to Safe Scouting applies.
- Dining: Avoid serving styles where diners use shared utensils and condiments; discontinue use of group beverage dispensers.
Obviously, all must adhere to the guidance provided by the State of Vermont and VT Department of Health.
In the event that a participant exhibits COVID-19 symptoms during or following the activity, report to the activity/event leader, who will follow the BSA procedures for reporting injuries and accidents. See https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/incident-report/. The participant should follow up with their primary care provider.
* Operations at our Council-owned properties may be subject to more stringent guidelines.
** Vermont’s Be Smart, Stay Safe guidance (accd.vermont.gov) currently specifies occupancy limits at
- 50 percent of approved fire safety occupancy to the set maximum below; OR
- One customer/person per 100 square feet of customer facing space to the set maximum below if no fire safety occupancy is established.
- Occupancy may not exceed 75 total people for inside operations or events even if their fire safety occupancy or square footage calculation would otherwise permit a greater amount of people.
- Occupancy may not exceed 150 people for outside operations or events.
A PDF file of this, for distribution to all activity leaders, is available HERE.