Are you looking for ways to keep your Scouts engaged during this time of social distancing? Check out this newsletter that was sent from Scouting.org: https://m.email.scouting.org/rest/head/mirrorPage/@BeohJ445EPClUpnywirT0mmOZqorZFYi4YIsFc_l2FInXgxfiNxY_LOZ8oA5VL8PKJ8yQVrPBLqee8cY7gZI_I1KQc6U_mFJP0sm4MenW06Y7U_J.html
Below is a note from the Council Camporee Co-Chairs regarding the decision to postpone the Council Camporee until 2021. While there has been no specific date set for next year, the committee is hopeful it will be around the same time frame. The committee is also asking that all units that paid the $100 deposit and/or additional registration fees roll the payments into 2021. If a refund is requested, please contact the Council Service Center at 802-244-5189 or email Arlene Matheson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep in mind that due to the Governor’s directive that all offices close due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the email may not be acknowledge immediately. We ask for your understanding on this decision and hope that it does not change your plans in any way to participate.
Kristy and I as the Co-Chairs of the GMC 2020 Council Camporee met with the Scout Executive this morning. The Key 4 met last Friday to discuss COVID-19 and how it affects the Council as a whole.
While the Key-4 discussion was a much larger discussion than just GMC 2020, the result of the discussion from our event was that it be postponed for a year. This was a unanimous vote and many things were taken into consideration. They discussed moving it to the fall but felt that with all the other things that are currently scheduled that this was not the best option.
The one thing that convinced me that this is the right decision is the fact that economically we do not know what this crisis will do the Green Mountain Council families. If parents are out of work for an extended period, they will need time to recover before spending money on Scout events again becomes a priority.
Kristy and I both agree with the Council’s decision and ask that you get behind it and support it too. We will very quickly contact the vendors and let them know we are pushing this out for a year.
We appreciate your ongoing support and look forward to making this a great event, one year late.
A notice from Council will be coming out shortly to go over the details.
Thank you all for your support in helping us plan this event, we look forward to your support in the next year
Co-Chairs GMC 2020
In compliance with the order form Governor Phil Scott, the Green Mountain Council Service Center, Scout Shop, and camp properties will be closed until further notice. We want to ensure our employees are safe and healthy as we navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic that has impacted everyone in some capacity. We ask for your patience and understand our position and decision for this action. Please check our website from time-to-time for any updates.
Green Mountain Council, BSA
As a follow up to the message sent out on March 17 from Council President, Dave McAllister, we wanted to make you aware of the status of the Council Service Center and its employees.
The Council Service Center will continue to conduct daily business. However, we ask all volunteers and parents to limit all in-person transactions and conduct business by phone, mail and electronic communications. We traditionally do a significant amount of mail-order business and are happy to have that continue. If for some reason you need to come to the office, we ask that you please call in advance and make an appointment and the reason for the visit. Eagle candidate applications postmarked by the applicant's 18th birthday will be accepted as on-time. An update will be issued on or around April 6th. Please share with other parents and leaders in your unit. For more information, please contact the Service Center at 802-244-5189.
From the Order of the Arrow Ajapeu Lodge Chief:
In light of the current happenings and cancelation of gatherings, the Lodge has decided to extend elections to Aug. 15. However each troop only gets one election which may be done remotely if it becomes necessary.
The requirement to complete the Induction within the calendar year has not changed, with the last Ordeal scheduled for September 18-20. If an elected candidate does not complete the ordeal within 2020, they must be re-elected in 2021.
Dear Scouting family,
The last month has been a whirlwind of events, changing situations and uncertainty, anxiety and fear regarding the spread of the novel coronavirus that is the infectious agent of the upper respiratory infection designated COVID 19.
As most of you are aware, there have been nation wide cancellations and closings in an effort to slow the spread of this pandemic.
Most recently today, there was further recommendation on social distancing precautions and groups of 10 or more are not recommended to gather. This likely effects most all of our units in some capacity.
At this time, it is the recommendation of our Council leadership that all district activities and gatherings be postponed or cancelled from now through April 6th. In the event you have the ability to meet using virtual environments we encourage this integration of technology.
For all unit activities, we strongly encourage you suspend operations and consult with your chartered partners and places you meet on best practices to keep scouts and leaders safe. Again, if there are creative ways to implement scouting through the use of technology we encourage this innovative thinking and application.
The Governor has required schools, restaurants, bars, and other public facilities close until mid April. At this time, we are recommending a suspension of in-person, physical activities, events, and meetings until at least April 6th, consistent with the Governor’s timelines. We will revisit the situation at this time and issue another statement.
The point of this message is to acknowledge that there is concern and anxiety over what will happen in the coming months. As of now, we are continuing to prepare for our Statewide Camporee in May, on schedule. We are planning for our summer camp operations to proceed on schedule.
At this time, the Council leadership, the Camp administration and medical staff are monitoring this situation very closely. We have communication with the Vermont Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The BSA is communicating with local Councils and providing recommendations for events and activities.
As the situation develops and appropriate actions become more clear, decisions about our upcoming events and summer camp programs will be made and communicated to all stakeholders. We intend to send another message on April 6th to assess where we are at that time.
Please know that the overriding concern and priority of Green Mountain Council is the health, safety and well being of its members and volunteers. Our Council leadership , Camp Directors, and Medical Director, are committed to providing high quality, safe programming to all our members.
Yours in Scouting,
Dear Scouting families,
We know that all families are currently managing a great deal of change right now and the fact resident camp fee deadlines are upon us, is not ideal.
In attempt to assist all families with making a decision about resident camp this Summer, the Green Mountain Council has agreed to the following changes:
1) We are waiving the $100 deposit due by 3/16/2020 in order to be eligible for the early bird rate. All families are now eligible for the early bird fee of $400 for Camp Sunrise and Mt. Norris, if the payment is received in full by April 15, 2020. A deposit is no longer required to receive this reduced rate.
2) We are also extending the deadline to apply for camperships until April 15, 2020.
We are closely monitoring the recommendations from the CDC and Vermont Department of Health. Our team of Council leadership, Camp Directors, and our Council Medical Officer will continue to communicate any changes. As of now, we are proceeding with every intention to facilitate top notch programming for our scouts this Summer.
Thank you for supporting our Council camps and your commitment to this amazing, life changing program.
Based on recommendations from the CDC and Vermont Department of Health, we have elected to postpone the University of Scouting scheduled for tomorrow, March 14th. We recognize this is a difficult decision but ask for your understanding as we are considering everyone’s personal health and safety as the top priority. The hope is to host the event later this spring if the conditions allow. If we cancel the event completely or you are unable to attend the rescheduled date we will work to get you refunds at that time.
Green Mountain Council staff values the health and comfort of everyone in our Scouting family. As we learn more about the novel coronavirus, (which causes COVID-19), we wanted to remind everyone about some basic hygiene and common-sense steps to take to help protect you and those around you.
The programs and activities, including our summer camps, will continue as scheduled, and if we all do our part to follow the above-mentioned steps, anticipate no short or long-term effects from this sickness.
We hope you stay safe and healthy as we navigate our way through this virus outbreak and look forward to a healthy and enjoyable spring and summer camping season.
Council Camporee payment deadline extended to April 15, 2020!!
The Council Camporee Committee recently agreed to extend the due date of March 15 to April 15 to be eligible for the early bird fee of $35.00 per person. This in light of the many other events with a similar due date and to give parents and units more time to secure the funds to attend this fun and well planned event. The new payment schedule is now:
$35.00 per person due by April 15, 2020
$55.00 per person due after April 15, 2020.
The $45.00 fee has been eliminated making it a two tiered payment plan. Share with other leaders and parents to create a timeline to ensure on-time payment at the lowest rate offered.
Click Here for the updated registration form that includes T-shirt preorder form.